Monday, April 12, 2010

"Hi, how are you?"

Working in a salon, I hear that simple phrase over and over again. It is pretty basic and is usually answered with "I'm fine, you?". Our small talk is very generic and I can usually guess what kind of conversation I will have while doing a person's hair before they even sit in my chair.

It makes me a little bit sad that most of the "Salon Talk" I have with my guests has no meaning at all. Usually it is about crazy Arkansas weather or American Idol, every now and then I hear a sad break up story.I sit here and think about my responses, usually I am to the point with simple answers and brief small talk.

I feel like I should make each visit to the salon a time of comfort and peace for my guests. Not a place to gossip or feel as if you have to chat about something; just a place to get away from life struggles.

God has given us brains to think, ears to listen, and mouths to speak. We need to use them wisely and kindly. If you ask how somebody is,  truely be interested in how they are doing and answer honestly when asked. I think it is time we start caring about each other and that starts by caring about God first.

It is time to bring life back into conversations. It is time to bring God back.

You must let no unwholesome word come out of your mouth, but only what is beneficial for the building up of the one in need, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Ephesians 4:29

No comments:

Post a Comment