Saturday, June 12, 2010

take a step back.

While I was in Honduras this past week, I was sweaty, smelly, wore shorts and t-shirts everyday, no makeup, and my hair was not done.  This was a very big change for me because I like to look nice on most occasions and feel good about myself. However, while being in Honduras, it was not necessary to get all dolled up.
Everyday the boys told us how beautiful we are and gave us hugs even though we were so gross and if in USA, we would not be accepted because we weren't "in style". The Boys never once thought twice about us looking raggedy and sweaty, they loved us unconditionally.
On the night of our fiesta, we went back to our hotel to change and to get fresh that way we would look nice for the fiesta, it was a very big deal to do this for the boys because we were with them everyday looking pretty gross. When we arrived back at Casa Del Nino, the boys ran up to us in fresh nice clothes, their hair all gelled up, and the best smiles you can imagine being so proud that they looked nice for us. These nice outfits were some of their most special possessions and they were so thankful for them and did not think anything of the fact they only had ONE nice outfit.
As I was giving hugs and kisses to them all, Israel gave me a huge hug and then took a step back and just stared at me. He had the strangest look on his face and then just smiled and said "Tu muy Bonita." It brought tears to my eyes when my little buddy said this because he had nothing compared to me yet he did find beauty in everything.

Of course, I related this to my walk with God. He is always with me no matter what I am going through. He is with me in the trees, flowers, rivers, even people; yet, sometimes I don't think anything of it. I feel like there comes a time when you need to really embrace God, take a step back, study him, and tell him how beautiful he is. We need to find the beauty in all things and be thankful for what we have and what we don't have.

Psalms 127:3-5

1 comment: